Prepare yourself spiritually
What scriptures and talks will help the young men understand how the gift of the Holy Ghost will help them and bless them throughout their lives?
1 Nephi 2:9–20 (Nephi’s example of being receptive to the Holy Ghost)
1 Nephi 15:1–11 (Disobeying the commandments prevents us from receiving the Holy Ghost)
D&C 20:77 (By partaking of the sacrament, we renew our covenants and can always have the Spirit with us)
D&C 121:45–46 (If we are virtuous and charitable, the Holy Ghost will be our constant companion)
Henry B. Eyring, “The Holy Ghost as Your Companion,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2015, 104–7
David A. Bednar, “Receive the Holy Ghost,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 94–97
“The Gift of the Holy Ghost,” True to the Faith (2004), 121
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas or think of your own to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Invite the young men to share experiences from the past week that relate to last week’s lesson.
- Ask the young men to think of the last time they saw someone being confirmed a member of the Church. What words were said as part of this ordinance? What does it mean to “receive the Holy Ghost”? Invite the young men to continue to think about this question throughout this lesson.
Each of the activities below will help the quorum members understand how to receive the Holy Ghost. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Invite the young men to search President Henry B. Eyring’s talk “The Holy Ghost as Your Companion,” looking for statements that help them understand how they can have the companionship of the Holy Ghost more often. Encourage them to think about why we need the companionship of the Holy Ghost and how we should respond when we feel His promptings. How do the things the young men see, think, and do each day affect their ability to feel the Spirit? Ask them to ponder any changes they need to make in their lives. Invite them to share some of their thoughts if they feel comfortable doing so.
- Ask the young men to read 1 Nephi 2:9–19 and 1 Nephi 15:1–11 individually. Invite half of the quorum to look for and discuss what Nephi did to receive the Holy Ghost. Invite the other half to look for and discuss what Laman and Lemuel did that kept them from receiving the Holy Ghost. Ask them to write on the board what they found. What do the young men learn from these examples that will help them receive the Holy Ghost in their lives?
- Ensure that each young man has a copy of For the Strength of Youth. Invite each young man to choose one of the sections in For the Strength of Youth, read it, and mark things they must do and not do in order to receive the Holy Ghost. Invite them to share what they learn about the Holy Ghost from what they read. How will this help them receive the Holy Ghost in their lives?
- As a quorum, read the last three paragraphs of the section titled “The Gift of the Holy Ghost” in Elder David A. Bednar’s talk “Receive the Holy Ghost.” Ask a quorum member to summarize Elder Bednar’s main point. Assign each young man to read one of the next three sections of the talk, looking for answers to questions like these: How do we qualify to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost? What can prevent us from receiving the Holy Ghost? Ask them to share what they find and what they plan to do to act on Elder Bednar’s counsel.
- Show a picture of Lehi and the Liahona (see Gospel Art Book, 68), and ask the young men to share what they know about the Liahona. Invite half of the quorum to read 1 Nephi 16:14–29, and invite the other half to read 1 Nephi 18:8–22. Ask them to look for answers to this question: “How is the Liahona like the Holy Ghost?” Invite them to share their thoughts. What do the young men learn from the experiences of Lehi’s family that can help them receive the Holy Ghost? As part of this discussion, read together Alma 37:38–46.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand what it means to receive the Holy Ghost? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Invite the quorum members to read Doctrine and Covenants 121:45–46 in their personal study and then share in a future quorum meeting what they learn from these verses about receiving the Holy Ghost.
- Challenge the quorum members to think of one thing they will do this week to be more worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost.