Prepare yourself spiritually
Prayerfully study the following scriptures and resources. What do you feel impressed to share with the quorum?
Abraham 3:22–26 (Our choices in the premortal life made it possible for us to come to earth)
“Plan of Salvation,” True to the Faith (2004), 115–16
Video: “The Plan of Salvation”; see also Doctrine and Covenants Visual Resources DVD
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas or think of your own to review the doctrine from last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Invite the young men to share a scripture they remember from last week’s quorum meeting. Ask them to talk about what they learned from it.
- Ask the young men to think about and share any righteous choices they have made in the past and how those decisions have blessed their lives. Then ask them to name a choice they made before they were born. How has this choice affected their lives?
Each of the activities below will help quorum members learn about the premortal life. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Ask each young man to read one of the following: Jeremiah 1:5; Alma 13:3; Abraham 3:22–23. Invite the young men to look for truths they learn from these scriptures about the premortal life. How do these truths about the premortal life influence the way we see our mortal lives?
- Ask the young men to make a list of some of the challenges people face during mortal life. Invite them to read about premortal life in True to the Faith (pages 115–16), looking for truths that could help people face these challenges. Invite them to share what they find. Ask the young men to think about someone who may need to know these truths, and encourage them to think of ways they could share their testimonies of the plan of salvation.
- Ask the young men to read Moses 4:1–2 and look for things they learn about the Savior and Satan in the Council in Heaven. What do we learn about the results of Satan’s actions from verses 3–4? How does this conflict continue on earth today? What is the Savior’s role in this conflict? What is our role? Invite the young men to express their feelings about the Savior and His willingness to follow His Father’s plan.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand the premortal life better? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Invite quorum members to share thoughts or feelings they had during the lesson. What were they inspired to do that will bless their families or quorum?
- Share his testimony about what was taught.