Prepare yourself spiritually
As you study these resources, listen to the Holy Ghost. Ponder what the young men could do to learn how they help God as they fulfill their duties.
Moses 1:39 (God’s work and glory is to exalt his children)
D&C 38:42 (Priesthood holders must be clean and worthy)
“Message to the Youth from the First Presidency,” For the Strength of Youth, ii–iii
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review the doctrine from last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Invite the young men to read the “Message to the Youth from the First Presidency” and look for counsel from the First Presidency that can help them fulfill their roles in Heavenly Father’s plan. How do priesthood duties support these roles?
- Show a picture of John the Baptist (see Gospel Art Book, 35), and ask what he did to prepare the way for the Savior (see Matthew 3). Ask the quorum members how they are preparing the way for the Savior’s return when they perform their priesthood duties.
Each of the activities below will help quorum members understand how fulfilling their priesthood duties helps Heavenly Father accomplish His plan. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Invite each young man to search the “Priesthood Duties” section of the Duty to God book (pages 23, 46–47, or 70–71) and underline the action words and phrases. Ask the young men to explain how each duty helps fulfill Heavenly Father’s plan. How have the young men been blessed by the priesthood service of others? What examples have they seen of priesthood service blessings others?
- As a quorum, review Doctrine and Covenants 20:46–60. Invite the young men to share experiences they have had fulfilling their duty to invite others to come unto Christ—including family members and friends. How are they helping fulfill God’s plan? Invite them to role-play possible scenarios in which they could have opportunities to share the gospel. For example: “Your friend asks you why you do not play football on Sunday or drink coffee or tea.” How would they answer their friend’s question if their goal was to share the gospel? Invite them to turn to page 29, 51, or 73 of their Duty to God books and make plans based on what they have learned.
- Show one or both of the videos suggested in this outline. Ask the young men to identify which priesthood duties are demonstrated in the videos and how these priesthood duties help fulfill God’s plan (for a summary of priesthood duties, see Duty to God pages 23, 46–47, or 70–71). What experiences have they had fulfilling these duties? Why is it important to understand that fulfilling our duties helps accomplish God’s plan? How does this understanding affect the way they fulfill their duties?
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand their role in fulfilling Heavenly Father’s plan? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Share examples he has seen of other quorum members helping fulfill God’s plan through their priesthood service.
- Counsel together with quorum members about what they can do as a quorum to better fulfill their priesthood duties.