Prepare yourself spiritually
Prayerfully study these recent addresses by President Monson to priesthood holders:
“Kindness, Charity, and Love,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2017, 66–67
“Principles and Promises,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2016, 78–79
“A Sacred Trust,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2016, 85
“Keep the Commandments,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2015, 83–85
“The Priesthood—a Sacred Gift,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2015, 88–90
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Divide the young men into pairs. Ask them to share with each other something they remember from last week’s lesson.
- Review as a quorum the “Priesthood Duties” section of the Duty to God book, and write the duties on the board (see page 23, 46–47, or 70–71). What has President Monson taught about these duties? During the lesson, have the young men add to the board anything they find that President Monson has taught about their priesthood duties.
Each of the activities below will help the quorum members study recent messages from President Thomas S. Monson to priesthood holders. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Give each young man a copy of one of President Monson’s recent addresses to priesthood holders (see the talks listed in this outline). Invite the young men to find a story in the talk, retell it to the quorum in their own words, and share what it teaches about priesthood service.
- Invite the young men to read one of President Monson’s recent talks and find a statement that they would like to remember. Give each young man a small card, and have him to write the statement on the card. Ask quorum members to share their statements and explain why they chose them.
- Show one or both of the videos suggested in this outline, and give each young man time to write a short summary of his thoughts and impressions. Invite the young men to share with the quorum what they wrote. How can following President Monson’s counsel in these videos help us become better priesthood servants?
- Ask the young men to find scriptures that President Monson uses to teach about priesthood service. Invite them to share with each other what they learn from these scriptures. Encourage them to use the footnotes to find other scriptures that teach about the priesthood. How will they apply what they found as they fulfill their priesthood duties?
- Invite half of the quorum to search one of President Monson’s talks and look for things he asks priesthood holders to do. Ask the other half to search the same talk looking for blessings he promises. Ask quorum members to share what they find. How will they apply his counsel to their priesthood service?
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand President Monson’s messages to them? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this topic?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Share his feelings about President Monson.
- Invite other quorum members to share their impressions about what they have learned.
- Invite quorum members to make or improve their plans in the “Priesthood Duties” section of the Duty to God book based on what they learned today.