Prepare yourself spiritually
Prayerfully study the following scriptures and resources. What do you feel prompted to share with the young men?
D&C 21:1, 4–7 (The Lord promises great blessings to those who follow the prophet)
D. Todd Christofferson, “The Doctrine of Christ,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2012, 86–90
Henry B. Eyring, “Trust in God, Then Go and Do,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 70–73
Claudio R. M. Costa, “Obedience to the Prophets,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 11–13
Video: “Watchmen on the Tower”
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Choose a key word from last week’s lesson, and invite a quorum member to draw a picture of it while the other quorum members guess the word. Ask the quorum to explain why that word was important in last week’s lesson.
- Show pictures of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (such as those in the conference issue of the Ensign or Liahona). Bear your testimony that all of these men are prophets, seers, and revelators. What messages do the young men remember hearing from a member of the First Presidency or Quorum of the Twelve?
Each of the activities below will help the quorum members understand the importance of following the living prophets. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Assign each young man one of the scriptures suggested in this outline and ask him to look for reasons we need a prophet and blessings that come from following the prophet. Invite him to share his thoughts.
- Give each young man a copy of Elder Claudio R. M. Costa’s talk “Obedience to the Prophets,” and ask him to choose one or more of the 14 principles Elder Costa describes and read about it. Ask him to report to the quorum the principle he chose and what it teaches him about following the living prophets. Why do the young men feel these principles are important for us as priesthood holders?
- Invite quorum members to imagine that a friend of another faith asks them, “Why do you have a prophet?” “What is your prophet like?” or “What has the prophet said to you?” How would the young men respond?
- Show the video “Watchmen on the Tower.” Invite the young men to share what they learn about the importance of following the prophet. Review with them the titles of President Thomas S. Monson’s most recent general conference talks and discuss what the prophet is warning us about today.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand why it is important to listen to and follow the living prophets? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Share his feelings about the opportunity to know about and follow the living prophets.
- Ask quorum members to share an experience in which they followed the prophet and how it has influenced their lives.