Prepare yourself spiritually
Prayerfully study the following scriptures and resources. What do you feel prompted to share with the young men?
D&C 21:1, 4–7 (The Lord promises great blessings to those who follow the prophet)
Henry B. Eyring, “Trust in God, Then Go and Do,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 70–73
M. Russell Ballard, “Stay in the Boat and Hold On!” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 89–92
Carole F. McConkie, “Live according to the Words of the Prophets,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 77–79
Video: “Watchmen on the Tower”
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Choose a key word from last week’s lesson, and invite a quorum member to draw a picture of it while the other quorum members guess the word. Ask the quorum to explain why that word was important in last week’s lesson.
- Show pictures of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (such as those in the conference issue of the Ensign or Liahona). Bear your testimony that all of these men are prophets, seers, and revelators. What messages do the young men remember hearing from a member of the First Presidency or Quorum of the Twelve?
Each of the activities below will help the quorum members understand the importance of following the living prophets. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Assign each young man one of the scriptures suggested in this outline and ask him to look for reasons we need a prophet and blessings that come from following the prophet. Invite him to share his thoughts.
- Read the portion of Elder Ballard’s talk where he compares the living prophet to a river rafting guide, and make a list of ways a river rafting guide is similar to a prophet. Invite quorum members to think of and share other analogies they could use to teach others why it is important to follow prophets and apostles.
- Share with the quorum the following statement from Sister Carole F. McConkie’s talk “Live according to the Words of the Prophets”: “According to the world’s standards, following the prophet may be unpopular, politically incorrect, or socially unacceptable. But following the prophet is always right” (Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 78). What are some reasons people give for not following the prophet? Invite quorum members to search the rest of Sister McConkie’s talk for things they could say to someone who tries to discourage them from following the prophet. Ask them to share what they find.
- Invite quorum members to imagine that a friend of another faith asks them, “Why do you have a prophet?” “What is your prophet like?” or “What has the prophet said to you?” How would the young men respond?
- Show the video “Watchmen on the Tower.” Invite the young men to share what they learn about the importance of following the prophet. Review with them the titles of President Thomas S. Monson’s most recent general conference talks and discuss what the prophet is warning us about today.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand why it is important to listen to and follow the living prophets? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Share his feelings about the opportunity to know about and follow the living prophets.
- Ask quorum members to share an experience in which they followed the prophet and how it has influenced their lives.