Prepare yourself spiritually
As you prepare, prayerfully study these scriptures and resources. What do you feel inspired to share with the young men?
John 14:26–27 (The Holy Ghost can help us remember things and feel peace)
Henry B. Eyring, “Continuing Revelation,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 70–73
Richard G. Scott, “How to Obtain Revelation and Inspiration for Your Personal Life,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2012, 45–47
David A. Bednar, “The Spirit of Revelation,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2011, 87–90
“Learn to Recognize the Promptings of the Spirit,” Preach My Gospel (1999), 96–97
“Revelation,” True to the Faith (2004), 140–44
Music for youth theme: “When the Time Is Right”
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- How has last week’s lesson affected the young men’s lives? What have they done differently because of what they learned? What blessings have come from their actions?
- Write on the board “I know I am receiving personal revelation when __________.” Ask the young men how they would complete this sentence. Invite them to continue to ponder this statement during the lesson and look for additional answers.
Each of the activities below will help the quorum members understand how to receive personal revelation. Following the inspiration of the Spirit, select one or more that will work best for your quorum:
- Read together the first three paragraphs of President Henry B. Eyring’s talk “Continuing Revelation.” Ask the young men to list a few situations in which they or someone they know would need personal revelation. Invite the young men to read or watch portions of President Eyring’s talk and share what they learn. Invite them to ponder what they will do to seek personal revelation.
- Write on the board the scripture references suggested in this outline. Assign each young man one of them, and ask him to identify what it teaches about how the Holy Ghost communicates with us. Have the young men write what they find on the board next to each scripture reference. Invite the young men to share any experiences they have had in which the Holy Ghost has spoken to them in one of these ways. Have they ever sought or received personal revelation to guide them in fulfilling their priesthood duties? You could also share an experience you have had.
- Make a copy of the chart on pages 96–97 of Preach My Gospel for each young man. Invite the young men to review the chart and its descriptions of how the Holy Ghost communicates with us. Ask them to write about a time when they have experienced any of the feelings, thoughts, or impressions described in the chart. Invite a few young men to share what they wrote with the rest of the quorum.
- Invite the young men to read the section titled “Patterns of Revelation” from Elder David A. Bednar’s talk “The Spirit of Revelation” or watch the video “Patterns of Light: The Spirit of Revelation.” Ask them to identify phrases or sentences that explain how the Holy Ghost communicates with us. Why is it important for Aaronic Priesthood holders to understand how the Holy Ghost communicates? How can He help with important decisions we must make? Invite the young men to list some important decisions they will need to make in the next few years. With permission from the bishop, invite exemplary priesthood holders from the ward to share how they have sought personal revelation to make similar decisions.
- Show the video “Hearing His Voice,” and ask the young men to look for things the youth in this video did to prepare themselves to receive personal revelation. What are some other ways we can prepare ourselves? (see 3 Nephi 17:2–3; D&C 9:7–8). Encourage the quorum members to accept the challenge that the youth in the video accepted, and invite them to share their experiences in a future quorum meeting.
- Invite the young men to select one of the study activities on pages 100–102 of Preach My Gospel to work on in pairs, in small groups, or individually.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they better understand how to receive personal revelation? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Share experiences he has had seeking and receiving personal revelation.
- Invite quorum members to look for ways they could improve their priesthood service by seeking personal revelation.