Prepare yourself spiritually
Prayerfully study the following scriptures and resources. What do you feel will help the young men understand the importance of studying the scriptures?
Boyd K. Packer, “The Key to Spiritual Protection,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2013
Richard G. Scott, “The Power of Scripture,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2011, 6–8
D. Todd Christofferson, “The Blessing of Scripture,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2010, 32–35
“Scriptures,” True to the Faith (2004), 155–59
Let the young men lead
A member of the quorum presidency (or an assistant to the bishop in the priests quorum) conducts the quorum meeting. He leads the young men in counseling together about quorum business, teaches them their priesthood duties (from the scriptures and the Duty to God book), encourages them to share their experiences fulfilling their duty to God, and invites an adviser or other quorum member to teach a gospel lesson. He could prepare by filling out a quorum meeting agenda during a presidency meeting.
Begin the learning experience
Choose from these ideas, or think of your own, to review last week’s lesson and introduce this week’s lesson:
- Invite the young men to think of an object that could represent what they learned and shared in last week’s discussion. Ask them to explain what the object has to do with what they learned.
- Invite the young men to share one of their favorite scriptures in pairs or with the entire quorum. Encourage them also to share an experience they had that made the scripture meaningful to them. What do the young men learn about the importance of the scriptures from these experiences?
The purpose of this lesson is to help each young man make a plan to establish or strengthen a habit of regular scripture study. Give the young men time during quorum meeting to write plans in their Duty to God books. Encourage them to share their plans with each other, and in future quorum meetings, invite them to share experiences they have fulfilling their plans.
- Invite the young men to open their Duty to God books to page 14 or 38. Assign one of the scripture references from these pages to each member of the quorum (see also the scriptures listed in this outline). Invite quorum members to look for and share words that describe how we should approach a study of the scriptures and the blessings that will come as we study the scriptures. Invite them to make plans to begin or strengthen a habit of regular scripture study (see Duty to God, page 15, 39, or 63).
- Ask each young man to ponder one of the following questions: How does scripture study affect my ability to keep the commandments? How does scripture study affect my relationships with my family? How does scripture study affect my relationship with God? Ask the young men to share their thoughts with the quorum. (See Duty to God, 62.) Invite them to turn to page 15, 39, or 63 of their Duty to God books and write down their plans to improve their personal scripture study.
- Invite the quorum members to read sections of one of the talks suggested in this outline. Ask them to share what they learn about the scriptures and the blessings of scripture study. When have they seen the power of scripture study in their own lives?
- Invite the young men to watch one of the videos suggested in this outline or to read “The Importance of Daily Scripture Study” from True to the Faith (pages 155–56). Ask them to look for answers to the question “Why is it important that I study the scriptures?” Invite them to share what they find. Ask a few young men to share how they study the scriptures. With permission of the bishop, consider inviting a father or other ward member to share briefly how he or she studies the scriptures.
- Invite the young men to select one of the study activities on pages 25–27 of Preach My Gospel and work on it in pairs or individually.
Ask the young men to share what they learned today. Do they understand why it is important to study the scriptures? What feelings or impressions do they have? Do they have any additional questions? Would it be worthwhile to spend more time on this doctrine?
Invite to act
The young man who is conducting concludes the meeting. He could:
- Share with the quorum his personal scripture study plans.
- Explain that during quorum meeting for the next few weeks, quorum members will be invited to share a scripture they’ve read during the week and explain why it’s meaningful to them.