Understand Basic Principles
- Full-time missionary service requires spiritual, physical, financial, and emotional preparation.
- Personal experience with the Atonement of Jesus Christ is essential to leading others to Christ.
- Developing Christlike attributes helps us live worthy of the companionship of the Spirit and increases our ability to testify with power.
- Learning and teaching must be guided by the Holy Ghost.
- A personal understanding of core gospel doctrine strengthens our ability to teach.
Study on My Own
Act in Faith
- Read the Book of Mormon
Read the entire Book of Mormon, looking for verses that teach about Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Pray for a stronger testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.
- Teach with the Full-Time Missionaries
Arrange several times to teach with the full-time missionaries in your area. Under their guidance, learn and teach a principle of the gospel and teach it to an investigator or less-active member of the Church.
- Create a Mormon.org Profile
View several profiles on mormon.org, and create your own. Prayerfully engage in gospel conversations with others in person and through social media.
- Teach a Preach My Gospel Lesson
Study one of the lessons found in chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel (2004). Teach this lesson in a family home evening, in a Sunday class or quorum meeting, as a home or visiting teacher, or to a friend not of our faith.
- Fortify Your Worthiness
Evaluate your life and determine how you can become more spiritually prepared and worthy to serve a mission. Determine how you keep your baptismal covenants and prepare for temple covenants. Pray to Heavenly Father and ask Him if there are things you need to repent of or improve upon through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Talk with your parents and your bishop to evaluate and improve your preparation.