Prepare yourself spiritually
As you prepare, prayerfully study these scriptures and resources. What do you feel inspired to share with the youth?
2 Nephi 25:26 (We teach of Christ)
2 Nephi 31 (Nephi describes the doctrine of Christ)
Articles of Faith 1:4 (The first principles and ordinances of the gospel)
“The Gospel of Jesus Christ,” Preach My Gospel (2004), 60–67
D. Todd Christofferson, “The Doctrine of Christ,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2012, 86–89
During the first few minutes of every class, help the youth make connections between things they are learning in various settings (such as personal study, seminary, other Church classes, or experiences with their friends). How can you help them see the relevance of the gospel in daily living? The ideas below might help you:
- Invite the youth to share an experience they had recently that reminded them of something they have been learning in their Church classes.
- Write on the board, “What is the doctrine of Christ?” Give each class member a copy of the paragraph at the beginning of this lesson and ask them to read it, looking for an answer to the question on the board. Invite them to share their answers with the class. Invite half of the class to read 3 Nephi 11:39–41, and invite the other half to read “Your Purpose” on page 1 of Preach My Gospel. According to these sources, why is it important that the youth understand the doctrine of Christ?
Each of the activities below can help the youth learn about the doctrine of Christ so that they will be better prepared to share it with others. Following the guidance of the Spirit, select one or more that will work for your class:
- Assign each class member to read one of the following sections of chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel: “Faith in Jesus Christ,” “Repentance,” “Baptism, Our First Covenant,” “The Gift of the Holy Ghost,” and “Endure to the End.” Ask them to teach the rest of the class what they learn, using a scripture and an example or personal experience.
- Ask each class member to read 2 Nephi 31 and look for what Nephi taught about the doctrine of Christ (faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end). Divide the class into “companionships” of two or three, and give them time to plan ways they could teach the doctrine of Christ to someone who has not heard it before. Invite each companionship to practice teaching another companionship.
- Invite the youth to read 2 Nephi 31 and draw a picture or diagram that they could use to teach someone about the doctrine of Christ. Ask them to teach each other in pairs, using their drawings. After everyone has had a chance to teach about the doctrine of Christ, invite them to share their experiences.
Ask the youth to share what they learned today. Do they know how to help others understand the doctrine of Christ? What feelings or impressions do they have about the responsibility to share this doctrine with others? Do they have any additional questions?
Invite to act
Ask the youth what they feel inspired to do because of what they learned today. Encourage them to act on these feelings. Consider ways you can follow up.