“Update: Number of Dedicated Temples in Operation,” Ensign, Mar. 1991, 74
Latter-day Saints have dedicated forty-six temples since 1836, when the first temple, in Kirtland, Ohio, was dedicated. The total number of temples has increased dramatically in the last decade, with the addition of twenty-seven temples, compared with a total of nineteen in the previous 143 years. The Kirtland Temple is no longer owned by the Church; the Nauvoo Temple, dedicated in 1846, was destroyed after the Saints left Nauvoo. However, the other forty-four temples are all currently in use or undergoing renovation. Six additional temples have been announced for construction—in San Diego, California; Bogota, Colombia; Guayaquil, Ecuador; Bountiful, Utah; Orlando, Florida; and St. Louis, Missouri.