Hong Kong
    Footnotes

    “Hong Kong,” Liahona, Jan. 2010, 10

    Church History around the World

    Hong Kong

    China was dedicated for the preaching of the gospel on January 9, 1921, in Beijing by then Elder David O. McKay (1873–1970) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. However, missionary work was limited to the city of Hong Kong. In 1949 Elder Matthew Cowley (1897–1953) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles opened the mission with a prayer from Victoria Peak—the highest point overlooking the city.

    The Chinese translation of the Book of Mormon was finished in 1965, followed by the Doctrine and Covenants in 1974. The Hong Kong China Temple was the first temple in the world built as a multiuse structure. The building also contains a chapel, mission offices, and the temple president’s home.

    When Hong Kong returned to Chinese control from British control in 1997, the Hong Kong Mission became the China Hong Kong Mission.

    By the Numbers

    Members in Hong Kong

    22,939

    Missions

    1

    Stakes

    4

    Districts

    1

    Wards and Branches

    32

    Temples

    1

    Elder Matthew Cowley, an Apostle, opened the Hong Kong Mission in 1949.

    The Hong Kong China Temple.

    Left: photograph of Hong Kong © Corbis; photograph of Matthew Cowley courtesy of Church History Library; photograph of Hong Kong China Temple by Craig Dimond; photograph of wood shavings by Welden C. Andersen